On August 20, 1934, Founder Jesse H. Mitchell opened the doors of Industrial Bank for the first time. Since 1934, the bank has delivered essential banking and financial services which have contributed greatly to the growth and development of the Washington, DC community. We were strong during a time when the banking system failed. We understood then that the relationship with our community would be the source of our legacy of strength. From that first day in 1934, when Industrial Bank had just six employees and $192,000 in assets, we have grown into an institution with over 150 employees and over $333 million in assets. Today, Industrial bank is one of the largest African-American owned and operated commercial banks in the United States.
Industrial Bank offers a full range of banking services from eight banking centers, six of which are located in the District of Columbia. These services include a host of checking, savings, and investment accounts for retail and commercial customers, cash management, corporate online banking, electronic banking services, debit cards and a variety of consumer, real estate, and commercial loans and lines of credit. We were here for you then, we are here for you now, and we will be here for you tomorrow because when you are Industrial Bank, you are Industrial Strong.
We remain strong because of our mission to promote the financial and economic empowerment of our diverse community. We have never in the past nor will we in the future turn our back on the communities that need us most.
Our customers depend on us to be strong for them; to trust that their hard-earned dollars are safe and looked after; but it does not stop there. We are not just strong for our customers banking needs but we are strong for many non-profit and community groups who depend on our support and generosity to help them continue to thrive. We are proud of the many contributions we make to organizations that are doing all they can to make a difference in the communities where we live and work.
In 1934, we were strong during a time when the banking system failed. We understood then that the relationship with our community would be the source of our legacy of strength. Now that the banking system has once again seen troubling times, it is fitting that our high commitment to ethics, community, and our customers has carried us through again.
We were here for you then, we are here for you now, and we will be here for you tomorrow because when you are Industrial Bank you are Industrial Strong.
Our Guiding Principles
Provide financial services with incomparable customer care.
To make a positive impact in the lives of people we touch and the economic development of their communities.
The Industrial Bank team is guided by its Core Values of:
- Leadership: We believe leaders inspire excellence, and exert positive influence on others by holding themselves and others accountable, expecting continuous improvement.
- Customer Service: We believe internal and external customers are our greatest assets and are committed to providing team members with the necessary resources to ensure we surpass customer expectations.
- Integrity: We believe in being honest, trustworthy and keeping our word and commitments to each other and customers.
- Community: We believe in strengthening our local community and getting involved with our partners.
- Relationships: We believe in treating each other with professional kindness. We respect the confidentiality and the protection of the personal and business information of our fellow team members. We listen, value and respect the input and opinions of each other.